Tuesday 3 February 2015

She’s got creativity in the bag


She’s got creativity in the bag



Photographer Nefer Sehgal has been exploring the art of making bags for a while. But it was only recently that she launched her brand. With an exclusive collection of bags, comprising over 150 pieces, and a small range of leather jackets, she unveiled her line on Saturday evening. Speaking to The Express Tribune, the designer shared how she got this craft in the bag.
Sehgal describes her journey from being a photographer to a designer as ‘overwhelming’. “I didn’t expect it to go so far. But it did and I feel happier than ever before. I started designing bags when I was 18-years-old, but I only designed them for myself at the time,” she shares. Commenting on the motivation behind her new venture, she says, “Just like surrealism worked for Picasso, I draw inspiration from personalities. People inspire me and that’s what motivates me to design bags.”

Sehgal states that the fabric she has used for the bags is from Spain and Turkey, while everything else is locally manufactured. She shares that she translates her creative vision behind the bags in the comfort of her home.  “The sketches are first drawn in my bedroom and then, I take them ahead to be made into the pieces I desire,” she states.

After that, there was no looking back for the novice designer. “Post-shoot, the bags’ sale picked up pace and became a hit across the town,” proclaims Sehgal, who has sold 100 bags in over a month’s time. Sehgal states that the brand’s launch, which was initially expected to take place by December end, was delayed by her due to the Peshawar school massacres. “I just didn’t want to have the launch then. It didn’t seem appropriate,” she comments. In terms of the price range, Sehgal says she has opted for one that is affordable for all.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 3rd, 2015.




No comments:

Post a Comment